ezSEO News Forum  

Go Back   ezSEO News Forum > Web Content Studio > Bugs...

Old 03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
WCS User

Default Links opening in external browser

Clicking on some links in the WCS researcher launches Internet Explorer but the actual page opens in Firefox. Should this be happening? I wanted to do everything in the internal browser.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Dr. Andy Williams

The researcher have the option of opening an external browser. If you don't want them opening in an external browser deselect that option for those links.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 AM
WCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The researcher have the option of opening an external browser. If you don't want them opening in an external browser deselect that option for those links.
There is something with a check box under the 'name' box in bookmarks but that's just a black strip. I can't a label, but I assume that's it?

But I think they were all deselected by default anyway?

update: Just did some research. The option was deselected and I clicked on a link from a google search and it launched IE and finally opened the page in firefox (default) leaving IE open at a black page.

I use google.com from the bookmark. The box is unchecked but every link I click on in the search results opens in the external browser.

update: clicking the searches related links at the bottom of google results page open in the internal browser.

Last edited by jeffreymor; 03-16-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Dr. Andy Williams

The researcher should only open links in a new window if that checkbox is checked. However it may depend on the way you have your own browser setup on your computer. I can't check at the moment because I can't work (as I have an injured shoulder and hand), but it does seem to be working okay on my machine.

With the updates you mention above, I am now a little confused. If you could just summarise what is not working the way exposed to, then I will check when my arm is better.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 AM
WCS User

In a nutshell.
"Open in external browser" is not selected.
I launch google.com in the researcher and do a search.
I click on a link in the search results. It launches IE but then the link opens in firefox (default browser). IE remains open with no page loaded.
However, if I click on one of the "Searches related to " at the bottom of the google search results, this opens in the internal browser in WCS.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Dr. Andy Williams

When you open a web page in the researcher, there is no programming in the researcher to specify whether links on the page are opened in a new browser or the same window.

The only thing I can think of, is that some setting in your Internet Explorer is making the links from Google search results open in a new window.

Open your Internet explorer and search Google. Click a link in the results, does it open in a new window?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
WCS User

The solution was very simple. Reading your reply reminded me that in google preferences I chose 'Open search results in a new browser window' as I always do with firefox (opens in new tab). So unselecting that fixed things.