ezSEO News Forum  

Go Back   ezSEO News Forum > Web Content Studio > General WCS discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 AM
WCS User

Default Theme word proximity

Hi Andy,

The spider in WCS extracts both theme phrases and theme words. Recently you added a button that extracts the theme word from the theme phrases. Is this an indication that we only need to work with theme words when writing a themed article?

I ask because in the process of writing I got to thinking that maybe Google doesn't just consider the particular words on a page, but maybe also their proximity when someone searches for a particular phrase in their search engine. Let me give an example:

Suppose you want to write an article on pimples. Do you then find the theme words and write the article with the words scattered around the article, or do you also make sure that the, say, top 5 most searched for pimple related phrases are inserted in the article:

rid pimples
how to get rid of pimples
get rid of pimples overnight
get rid of pimples fast
face pimples

This information you could get from the free Wordtracker or Google's keyword tool. Do you insert phrases in your articles or do you only concern yourself with theme words?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Martin
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Dr. Andy Williams

Martin

Theme phrases are very important, and Google does look for the exact phrase on a page when somebody searches for a phrase Google. If you have the exact phrase your page is likely to do better.

What I do is to select theme words and phrases and then try to work in some of the best phrases onto the page. In doing this you take care of a lot of theme words and so web content studio can then check to see which ones you still need to include.

I actually tested the themeing reports using theme words and theme phrases and found the best correlation with the top 10 was by looking only at the theme words. However that doesn't mean theme phrases are not important. It just means that for theme reports it's the words on the page that are important. As I've said many times theme reports are not a science thet are just to check to make sure that you have the best words on the page.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 PM
WCS User

After some use of WCS I feel that "words" and "phrases" are overly detached from each other.

We analyze theme words against top 10 to clean up the words list, but it doesn't affect the phrases, which seems seriously counterintuitive.

Is the theme phrase that doesn't contain theme words worth the effort of working it into the article context?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Dr. Andy Williams

Dmitry
Theme words and phrases are deliberately separated in WCS because of the way I work, and the results of my own research which lead to the development of this tool.

A well themed piece of content has a bunch of related words. This is the most important aspect to the theme of the page. However, theme phrases add emphasis to help the search engines narrow down the niche.

Would i include a theme phrases that uses words not included in the theme word list? Maybe, but it would depend what those words are. If a phrase is important enough to be included in an article, then surely the words that make up the phrases are important?

Maybe you could give me a specific example to see if I am missing something?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
WCS User

Thanks Andy, I understand this is related to your workflow.

My only problem is that the phrases that actually contain the theme words aren't marked/separated/bold out to help with prioritization - what phrases are more important to be integrated into the article
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Dr. Andy Williams

Your final list of theme words should ALL be important.

My process is to make sure they are all in the article once at least. The more important ones will be in there more NATURALLY because you need to use them more as you write.

Once my article is done, I'll go through and try to put the most important theme phrases in if they are not already. I usually only concentrate on three or 4 phrases - the ones that emphasise the theme of the article.

I was thinking of your question about including theme phrases that include words not in your theme word list. I have come to the conclusion that yes, this is possible, even common, when theme phrases are names of things.

e.g. If I was writing an article on cooking, I might have a theme phrase "baking tray". Now, while baking would also be a theme word, tray would probably not. Another example - "Gas Mark 4" is a phrase that might be used, yet the three words that make it up would not.

The whole process of collecting and cleaning theme words is intended to leave you with a set of IMPORTANT theme words plus phrases you can work in. I aim for 30 - 40 theme words per article.