In 2018, build a beautiful responsive WordPress site that looks great on all devices. No experience required.
How are you finding WordPress?
It has a steep learning curve, doesn't it?
Do you know the best way to learn WordPress? Well I might be biased, but I'd recommend my “WordPress for Beginners” course which is hosted on Udemy (that means lifetime access).
At the time of writing this, the course had received 4780 reviews, with an average of 4.5 out of 5. Here are some of the comments from those students:
Watch this introductory video
This short video will tell you a little bit about WordPress and why you should be excited to use it for your website.
#1 Roadblock to learning WordPress?
My students tell me that they don't want to buy web hosting and a domain name while they are just learning WordPress. It is an expense that seems unecessary.
So how have I fixed that?
I have included instructions so that students can install WordPress on their own computers so that they can learn without that expense. To make things even better, I have only used free tools for this local install. Now while learning WordPress, you won't need to pay for a web host or domain name, and everything you do will be 100% private. No one will see what you are doing before you are ready.
But this course will help, and as your instructor, I am also there if you have questions or problems.
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed primarily at beginners, or those wanting a refresher course on WordPress. A lot of my students have inherited a WordPress website from work, or a club they are a member of, and asked to manage it. There's nothing like being thrown in at the deep end!
With me as your instructor, you'll also have a friendly face to help answer your questions and solve your WordPress problems.
In short, this course can take you from rank beginner, to competent WordPress user in a few short hours. By the end of this course, you can have a beautiful, responsive (that means it looks great on phones, tablets and computers) website that you are proud of.
About this course
This course will start at the very beginning.
After installing WordPress, we'll go through all of the options, settings things up correctly as we go. You will learn everything you need to setup and manage your own WordPress website, including:
- Finding a domain name when you are ready.
- My recommended web host and registrar, and how to connect them to your domain name.
- Installing WordPress on your new domain.
- Clearing out the demo content that WordPress installs by default so you can start with a clean slate.
- The WYSIWYG editor for creating your web pages.
- The media library which will be your collection of images, video, sound files, etc. that you add to your site.
- Setting up a Gravatar so that your profile follows you around the web, and makes you the expert in your niche.
- All of the essential WordPress settings, including General, Writing, Reading, Discussion, Permalinks & Privacy.
- Adding a sitemap to your site to help the search engines.
- Finding & Installing plugins.
- WordPress widgets.
- WordPress themes to change the look and feel of your site, on-the-fly.
- Allowing comments from your visitors, and moderating comments. We'll also look at plugins that can cut down on the amount of comment-spam you receive.
- Posts v Pages. How are they different and which should you use and when.
- Post categories and tags, and how to use these efficiently to help your visitors and the search engines.
- Image optimization for faster download speeds.
- Making social sharing of your posts easier for your visitors.
- The importance of the homepage and the options you have for creating a blog style homepage, or something more “static”.
- Creating important pages like Contact, Terms, Privacy, etc.
- The importance of website navigation to your visitors, and how to use Custom Menus, navigation widgets, related & recent post plugins and internal linking to good effect.
- WordPress security and the basics of making your site hacker-proof.
- We'll also look at a few essential plugins, like one for backing up your site.
- I'll then give you a 20 step plan in PDF format so you can follow along as you build your site. To make it easier, I'll actually build a real site too. This is where I will put all of the knowledge you have learned into practice, and you can too.
By the end of this course, you can have a WordPress website that you are truly proud of.